The final Gram Swaraj Abhiyan (Janta Mela), was held today at Mangan, North Sikkim. I distributed tokens for various welfare schemes to the beneficiaries of 3 Constituencies- Kabi-Lungchok, Lachen-Mangan and Dzongu. The Government-sponsored welfare schemes/benefits worth Rs.700 crores, are aimed at raising the living standards of the marginalised sections of our society. The beneficiaries should utilize these grants judiciously in making themselves self-reliant.
I made the following announcements/suggestions:-
1. Milching cows to be provided to every household in North District.
2. Schemes like homestays, fish farming, tourism, etc to be made available to all interested individuals of North District.
3. Lachen, Lachung and Yumisamdong may be developed as ‘Kingdom of Rhododendrons’.
4. Construction of Rural Marketing Centres, Organic Vegetable Centres, parking places, beautification/up gradation of bazaars, etc to be taken up in North District.
5. A Study Centre to be established at Dzongu.
6. A monastery to be constructed at Gurudongmar.
Later, in the evening, I had an interactive session with District Heads and Government employees of North Sikkim at Mangan Nagar Panchayat. The following decisions were taken :-
1. Details of all ongoing/pending works in North District to be submitted to Chief Minister’s Office (CMO) within one week.
2.List of shortage of manpower in North District to be submitted to CMO with a copy to the concerned department.
3. Guest House for Group C and D employees and Officers’ Club to be constructed in Mangan .
4. Frequent transfers of teachers and other employees to be stopped, with a minimum period of posting being two years.